Towards a europeanwide label for Large Wild Rivers
The Wild Rivers program has two cornerstones: ‘the Fonds pour la protection des Rivières sauvages’ and ERN, a certified association under a 1901 French Law, approved for the protection of wilderness areas and since 1989 a partner of the WWF. ERN works with public agencies and NGOs, the Fonds pour la protection des Rivières sauvages, was established to develop partnerships with businesses and raise private funds.
ERN and its french Partner has successfully implemented the label “Wild River Site” for small rivers (< Strahler 5) in France. The label was developped in cooperation with the french Ministery for the Environnement and the scientific community. So far (2023) more the 30 river sections have been (re-)labelised all over in France.
The French label “Site Rivière sauvage” for small rivers is co-owned by ERN and the “Fonds pour la conservation des rivières sauvages”. The Network of labeled rivers in France is managed by the NGO ARRS.
In 2019 ERN made study to adapted the French label to make it suitable for other European countries and large rivers. In cooperation with the WWF in Germany, Austria, Slovenia and Switzerland, ERN has looked at applying the label to alpine rivers.
Starting in 2023, ERN will promote the elaboration of a europeanide label for large rivers based on its experience Wirth the French label for small rivers and the case studies on Alpine rivers.
Map showing the pilot projects for a new europeanwide label for large Wild Rivers
International partners :
project lead by ERN
- Ammer, in cooperation with the WWF Germany
- Lech, in cooperation with the WWF Austria
- Chamuera, in cooperation with the WWF Switzerland
- Beverine, expected to be the first river to be labelled, in cooperation with the WWF Switzerland and the Commune of Bevers.
- Soča, in cooperation with the WWF Adria
- Viosha, (Albania) in cooperation with EURONATURpproject lead by the Fond Rivières sauvages / ARRS
- Artikutza : with the University of Bilbao (Dr. Arturo Elosegi) and San Sebastian Municipality (Departement of Biodiversity and Environnement)
- Wartoise : with local autority, the french part is already labelled.
- Owenduff : with NGOs (fishermen).
Wild Rivers Presentation
to download (4-6 pages)
Discover the pilot rivers
Video “Wild Rivers”